[csw-maintainers] Migrating config files from /opt/csw/etc to /etc/opt/csw during package update

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Sep 14 19:20:01 CEST 2009

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 1:16 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Let me remind you that this is contrary to what you advised me on
> transitioning Mantis:

and this is why I am AGAINST having a strict policy on the issue of
transitioning etc files, but believe that each package should be
carefully considered on its own merits :-)

It's a potentially very sticky issue. I do not think people should do
it casually. I think that having a deep "policy" on this issue, would
discorage people from actually THINKING about what is best for their
package. This would be the opposite of best practice, in my opinion.

I think that "the policy" should not be much more than, "keep local
configs in /etc/opt/csw, and local state in /var/opt/csw", and leave
the "how to get there" mostly to the maintainer.