[csw-maintainers] Migrating config files from /opt/csw/etc to /etc/opt/csw during package update

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Sep 15 18:27:34 CEST 2009

2009/9/15 Trygve Laugstøl <trygvis at opencsw.org>:
> Philip Brown wrote:
>>
>> It's a potentially very sticky issue. I do not think people should do
>> it casually. I think that having a deep "policy" on this issue, would
>> discorage people from actually THINKING about what is best for their
>> package. This would be the opposite of best practice, in my opinion.
>
> I think it is very important to have a policy on how it is supposed to be.
> If not people will INVENT their own methods and we will have no CONSISTENCY
> leading to OpenCSW packages being hard to use.

rather than call that part "policy", I would rather say we should have
a set of recommendations, and offer tools, so that maintainers can
re-use solutions, rather than have to invent their own.
Sometimes, they will HAVE to.  but for most people, if you offer them
a tool that works, they will use it by their own preference.

> A policy definitely needs to mention when it is correct to use /opt/csw/etc
> vs /etc/opt/csw.

true enough. and I thought we had a writeup of that already.

we do.
http://www.opencsw.org/standards/layout

Subdirectories of /opt/csw
 etc
    Global Configuration files. (Machine-local conf files should go in
    /etc/opt/csw/[softwarename] or /etc/opt/csw)

Seems to be explicit, and clear.