[csw-maintainers] Migrating config files from /opt/csw/etc to /etc/opt/csw during package update

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Sep 17 18:31:53 CEST 2009

On Thu, Sep 17, 2009 at 6:44 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:

> I support that, I agree that one place for configuration is better
> then two places. (One might argue that creating /opt/csw/etc was
> unnecessary, as there already was [/etc/opt/csw].

On the contrary; it is quite NECCESSARY.

As our filesystem layout guide already mentions!

Sometimes, you WANT global, shared, identical preferences for an application.
Sometimes you DONT.

For things that almost never change, or get site-modified once and
then mostly left alone for eternity, it is best to have them in
/opt/csw/etc, for cases where /opt/csw is NFS shared, or shared across
multiple zones. It makes life much simpler for the sysadmin.