[csw-maintainers] C++ hell with Sun Studio and GCC

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sat Sep 19 16:34:28 CEST 2009

Hi,

I am currently compiling xapian, a probabilistic search engine.
The software is written in C++ and compiles under Sun Studio 11, 12
and GCC 3 and 4. There exist bindings for Ruby, Python and other
languages.
As Ruby is compiled with GCC I need to compile xapian with GCC
too, otherwise the mangling does not work. However, Python requires
Sun Studio. Is there any kind of "mangling conversion" between
Sun Studio and GCC or must I really provide two versions of the
xapian libraries?