[csw-maintainers] Xlibs regression when building xterm (Xrender.h/Xft.h not found, ...)

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Mon Sep 21 18:39:12 CEST 2009

Philip Brown wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 21, 2009 at 8:22 AM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org>
> wrote:
>> i just wanted to bump the xterm [1] version, ran into build issues, and
>> noticed that i can't even build the version which i had released a few
>> months ago any more (was r4246).
>>
>> ./configure fails to detect freetype support due to missing Xrender.h
>> and
>> Xft.h files [2]. What's the proper way to fix this?
>

> as a reminder to people who may not be familiar with things:
>
> previously, we provided an "Xrender" package, that provided the header
> files.
> The extension is somewhat odd, in that it only needs the header files
> to compile, not libraries.
> So, you could compile it on 8, even though it would not support
> xrender on 8. but it woudl automatically work right with later
> versions of solaris.
> (something like that, anyways).
>
> HOWEVER; our new xrender package, provides actual libs, which tie into
> the "new" X11.
>
> So, I think your choices are basically either
>
> A) grab the "old" headers and keep em around, and compile the old way
> or
> B) make xterm depend fully on our new, modern X11 libs from now on.
>
> But I'll let our new X11 lib maintainers chime in now.

Thanks for the info, Phil. Update: i worked towards using the CSWlibx11
bits (xterm has --x-includes and --x-libraries ./configure flags, no need
for EXTRA_INC or EXTRA_LIB) and now i am down to some remaining linkage
errors.

FcCharSetHasChar                    fontutils.o  (symbol belongs to
implicit dependency /opt/csw/lib/libfontconfig.so.1)
FcPatternBuild                      fontutils.o  (symbol belongs to
implicit dependency /opt/csw/lib/libfontconfig.so.1)
FcPatternDestroy                    fontutils.o  (symbol belongs to
implicit dependency /opt/csw/lib/libfontconfig.so.1)
XA_UTF8_STRING                      button.o

^^ Non-wrapped output and cc invocation available on dpaste [1].

Sebastian

[1] http://dpaste.com/96366/