[csw-maintainers] Using a package from current on stable

dam at opencsw.org dam at opencsw.org
Wed Sep 23 13:31:07 CEST 2009

Hi Daniel,

> The Ganglia package I've been working with works on a wide range of
> architectures.  I thought I would try to install the package on a
> Solaris 8 system with OpenCSW stable instead of current

FYI: Adding newer packages to stable is not supported and newer packages
will not be added to stable. A stable release is made from current during
a release-freeze with thourough package inspection. An update of stable is
pending and there is no date for an update.

James, out stable release manager, made some progress towards a new
stable, but due to time constraints there is no timeframe.

> Two issues arise:
> - cswclassutils is missing on stable
> - expat.so.0 on stable, expat.so.1 expected for current
>
> Therefore, I suspect I need to
>
> - copy some additional things, e.g. cswclassutils, to the system where I
> want Ganglia

If you want to poach your stable installation you can do that.

> - rebuild my package for stable's library versions - how do I tell gar
> to do that?

You don't, as new packages are always build against current.

> Given that my package is a new package and doesn't impact any other
> packages, are there any other steps I need to take to make it suitable
> for an upcoming stable release?  Will the use of cswclassutils prevent
> me from having the package in stable?

If a new stable release is made and your package has been released to current
at that time and has no open critical bugs it will go automatically into
stable.

The delay of a new stable release is painful, but we don't have that many
people having the infrastrastructure, time and knowledge to do it.