[csw-maintainers] Anyone wants to update wxWidgets?

dam at opencsw.org dam at opencsw.org
Wed Sep 23 13:43:17 CEST 2009

Hi Maciej,

> On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 12:25 PM,  <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> You can either put the original legacy libraries in there "manually"
>> during post-install (see curl for an example) or use version modulations
>> to also build the old version and put only the libs in the package
>> (see expat/flac/neon/readline for examples).
>
> I see, version modulations. Is it a one-way process only? I mean, this
> way the list of package versions is going to be growing indefinitely,
> unless there's a process in place to phase out the old versions.

No. After the updated package has been released you file the bugs
to the packages depending on the old libs :-) After the last one has
been updated you remove them from your package.

> One more question: If two versions of a library are installed on one
> system, which one is being used during linking?

Usually the latest as it is detected during autoconf/libtool/pkgconfig etc.
I never had a problem with adding old libs for new compiles.