[csw-maintainers] Using a package from current on stable

dam at opencsw.org dam at opencsw.org
Wed Sep 23 13:52:53 CEST 2009

Hi Daniel,

> However, if someone wants to distribute a package through a third party
> download site (e.g. the upstream download page on SF), and they want
> their package to just drop in to stable, is that permitted? Is there a
> convenient way to build such a package with gar on the build farm?

Difficult. The package will not be added to stable, but will become
a part of stable in the next release. If you want to offer a binary
package I would offer it for current. Because there is nothing added
directly to stable there is no point in building a package against
stable. It would require having at least Solaris 8 Sparc, Solaris 8 x86
and Solaris 10 x86 on stable/, which we don't have on the farm.
But if you insist you can make your own farm and use your
GAR build description to do it, but I wouldn't that consider a
good idea.

The best thing I can propose if you want your package in stable
is test it good, release it to current and help in the next release
of stable. That way everyone can gain from the work put into it.