[csw-maintainers] Change python modules catalog names to have a py_ prefix (instead of just py)?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Sep 24 18:57:14 CEST 2009

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 3:51 PM, Sebastian Kayser <skayser at opencsw.org> wrote:
> You are right, Gentoo simply passes the upstream name pyyaml [1]. Ubuntu
> (like Debian) renames it to python-yaml [2] though.
>
>> pyyaml is a well-known exception to the usual py_ convention
>
> If we follow that road we leave it up to every maintainer to decide what
> is "well-known". Plus there might be as many "well-known" (pygtk,
> pysqlite, pyxml, etc. [3,4,5]) module packages as non-"well-known"
> packages, which gets us half py* and half py_* packages.

well I think that "half" is an exaggeration. Or if it is, it's only
because we are falling behind in the number of python modules we have
packaged, compared to what is out there!

>  Not to mention,
> packages like SOAPy/SOAPpy where you wouldn't even have the common py
> prefix.

Hmm. that one is a bit hairy.
(But then, SOAP stuff has always been disgusting anyway ;-)

You do bring up good points though.

This might be an issue to bring up for a general vote.