[csw-maintainers] gar_devel

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Sep 24 23:10:36 CEST 2009

Hi Phil,

Am 24.09.2009 um 22:51 schrieb Philip Brown:
> On Thu, Sep 24, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org>
> wrote:
>> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Thu Sep 24 16:36:20 -0400
>> 2009:
>>
>>> Could you describe more precisely what you mean by "get up and
>>> running" please?
>>
>> Suck in all the packages required by GAR.
>
> sorry for being dense.. but what definition of "by GAR" do you mean?

The base packages from CSW needed to build packages with GAR.

>> Easier to type and can be updated to reflect any future changes to
>> GAR
>> requirements.  It doesn't bring a GAR package itself, but it makes
>> getting started easier.  It's a 'lazy web' kind of thing.
>
> Why not "make a gar package" straight up, instead of going halfway?
> We badly need it. and Dago is too busy to do it :)

Partly, yes. But we already have it in mgar/pkg/gar. However, this would
only be useful if every commit to GAR would trigger a rebuild
(buildbot?)
And source packages.

> A suggestion: I personally think a package layout that makes sense for
> that would be:
>
> 1. CSWgar  - a package of "the gar build system/utilities",
> independant of anything else
> 2. CSWcswgar - a layer on top of CSWgar, that adds in all the OpenCSW
> specific stuff, to generic GAR, plus adds in a subversion dependancy,
> etc.

I disagree here. Either you choose source packages with a packaged
GAR or "developer mode" with Bens base and GAR and build descriptions
from the repository. Mixed mode calls for trouble.