[csw-maintainers] Package comparator

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Sat Sep 26 18:06:13 CEST 2009

Today's shameless plug: I hacked together a small (200 lines of code)
tool to compare prototypes of packages. It's especially useful when
GAR-ifying packages and making sure that whatever was in the old
packages is also present in the new one. It's also useful if one wants
to find out whether the new package version contains files with higher
major library version. I've submitted the code to the opencsw (!= gar)
repository.

To get it:
$ svn co https://opencsw.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/opencsw opencsw

To run it:
$ opencsw/utilities/compare_pkgs.py -h
Usage: compare_pkgs.py [options]

  -h, --help            show this help message and exit
  -d, --debug
  -a PACKAGE_DIR_A, --package-dir-a=PACKAGE_DIR_A
                        Package directory A
  -b PACKAGE_DIR_B, --package-dir-b=PACKAGE_DIR_B
                        Package directory B
  -c CATALOG_NAME, --catalog-name=CATALOG_NAME
                        Catalog name, for example 'cups'
  -p, --permissions     Whether to analyze permission bits

My typical usage scenario would be:

$ compare_pkgs.py -a ./old-packages -b ~/staging/build-2009-09-26 -c mysql5

It's a quickly hacked tool and might have rough edges; but I think
even now it can be useful for other people. Feel free to flame me now.
;-)