[csw-maintainers] Mantis privileges elevated to allow for easier cross-package collaboration

Roger Håkansson hson at opencsw.org
Mon Apr 5 19:11:41 CEST 2010

On 2010-04-05 15:02, Peter FELECAN wrote:
> Sebastian Kayser<skayser at opencsw.org>  writes:
>
>> as discussed in [1] I have finally elevated the global privileges for
>> all maintainers in Mantis to DEVELOPER. This means, everyone should now
>> be able to do everyday work on bugs (like moving or assigning) for _all_
>> packages, not just the ones which one specifically owns.
>>
>> Questions or anything not working as expected? Please let me know.
>>
>> Sebastian
>>
>> [1]http://lists.opencsw.org/pipermail/maintainers/2010-January/011158.html
>
> And this answers to what requirement(s)?

First of all, we have a ton of packages either orphaned or "owned" by
absent/retired/... maintainers and if someone else starts to work on
fixing a bug, he can't communicate with the bug reporter as its intended
(set the status to feedback) until he has released a new package and
becomes maintainer for the package.

Also, another problem which also relates to orphaned packages is this:
Say that you want to fix a problem in package A (which you are
maintainer for) which depends on B which depends on C which depends on
D. And you know that the problem is solved by upgrading/turning on a
config-option in D so that C can autoconfig itself differently so B
behaves diffrently which fixes the problem in A.
Mantis have a good feature where you can daisy-chain bugs so you can see
which bug needs to be fixed first and when its fixed the next maintainer
can move on and so on.
Without developer access the only way for the maintainer of A to achieve
this is to report a bug on each package, mail the maintainers and ask
them to manually chain them, and in case of orphaned packages, ask the
admins to do it, even though the maintainer of A could do this all by
him self if he had the correct permissions.
(Which you can do now)

> Strangely, the assignment was not a feature available for a "developer"
> in the messages that you refer but now it changes?

Well, thats my fault, I remembered wrong what privileges a "developer"
and a "manager" has, its been a while since I ran Mantis...