[csw-maintainers] [csw-buildfarm] ClamAV 0.96 on Solaris9/10 - Intel

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Apr 6 01:47:57 CEST 2010

On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 4:06 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Apr 05 16:23:54 -0400 2010:

>> ie: "if someone gets offended, it's THEIR fault, not the speaker".
>
> Had Dago specified someone/something personal then yes, someone could
> rightly take _insult_ at such a statement.  That is clearly not the
> case here.

perhaps I wasnt being clear in my choice of words earlier.

I dont think that Dago's remark was directed at any one person in
general. I dont believe it was a "personal attack" on anyone.
That being said, there's more than one way to cause insult.
Some 3rd party examples, that may or may not resonate with you:

 When Sun decided, many years ago, to drop solaris x86, I felt
insulted, as a customer.

  When Oracle decided recently, to limit licensing of solaris to no
longer be 100%, all the time, and require a support contract for ALL
deployments,  I felt insulted, as a customer.

A remark, or action, does not have to be directed at a specific
person, to cause "insult" to a customer.

To state it in a more directly relevant fashion:

When a business, or organization, says, "the way that you choose to
run your IT department, is stupid/dumb/obsolete/'hated' "...  That Is
Insulting.

And that was what happened here.