[csw-maintainers] coreutils

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Mon Apr 19 19:25:36 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Apr 19 13:08:03 -0400 2010:

> well, it doesnt have to be an "all at once" operation, if coredutils
> is just released with some dummy CSWgfile packages that depend on
> CSWcoreutils.

No, I think it does, unfortunately...if we want to keep circular
dependencies out of the catalog, anyway.

We could do:

CSWgfile(dummy) -> {CSWcoreutils,CSWshutils,CSWtextutils}
CSWshutils(dummy) -> {CSWcoreutils,CSWgfile,CSWtextutils}
CSWtextutils(dummy) -> {CSWcoreutils,CSWgfile,CSWshutils}

Each of the old packages would need to depend on coreutils _and_ the
other two dummy packages to force an update of one to update the
others too.

This would also imply that CSWcoreutils couldn't declare itself
Incompatible with the old packages which opens us up to:

Someone updates CSWwgetpaste (depends on CSWshutils) when Maciej
cranks out a new version, but doesn't update any packages that depend
on CSWgfile or CSWtextutils.  Those would be left in their current
(file bearing) states and would then have file conflicts with
CSWcoreutils.  A full 'upgrade' operation would handle this, but there
are situations where even adding one of the affected packages could
trigger the above behaviour.

Thoughts?

Thanks