[csw-maintainers] Need for additional documentation

Peter Bonivart bonivart at opencsw.org
Thu Aug 12 23:21:15 CEST 2010

Isn't it wrong to put vital information in the package itself?

I mean, if there's critical information that the admin needs to read,
he should read it _before_ he installs the package so he knows what
will happen and what needs to be done.

Or are we assuming that everyone will test this on a separate system
first? We all know that is not the case and if we assume that we can
just use the postmsg class utility to display a files content after
each package install since everyone _should_ read everything on the
screen.

I think this kind of info is better to have separated from the actual
package. It's fine to have it included in the package and even
displayed during install but it's more important to make it available
online.

That's also what Jeffery asked for. Now we're trying to make some
complicated mechanism instead because that's what we like to do. The
obvious and easy way to do this is to write a note on the wiki.

--
/peter