[csw-maintainers] Preliminary package reviews

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Aug 16 10:47:55 CEST 2010

Hi Maciej,

Am 16.08.2010 um 10:12 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:
> It's quite common that one of maintainers sends e-mail to the mailing
> list asking others to review / test a package, but gets no feedback.
> I've got an idea that for preliminary reviews, a HTML or a text view
> of a package could be useful.  It would show things like pkginfo and
> pkgmap, with the intention of reviewing the way one software project
> is split into subpackages, where and what are the binaries, etc.  The
> idea is that it's much quicker to click a link and view a page than
> dissect a file in a terminal session.  Some maintainers wouldn't have
> time to dissect packages by hand, but they could quickly review a HTML
> report and offer feedback.
>
> I've prepared a prototype view:
>
> http://bender.opencsw.org/~maciej/pkg-review-prototype.html
>
> Thoughts?

This looks very useful. I'll prepare support for
   ~/public_html
on the buildfarm to be accessed by
   http://buildfarm.opencsw.org/~<user>

Some thoughts:
- it would be nice if the package would be unpacked to the directory in
   addition to generating the html with the files in the package be
   linked from the package for direct browser inspection
- it would be nice if the repository link from the pkginfo
     OPENCSW_REPOSITORY: https://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/mysql5/branches/mysql-5.1.x@10727
   would be a link also to directly jump to the GAR manifest
- if this goes into production I would like to add this as automatic
   dissect when someone throws a package in experimental/ and the pages
   would be linked from the package list at experimental.html
- why do you print "isalist"? This seems to be machine-local. This
should better
   be taken once and hardcoded to allow dissecting any package on any
platform.
- I find the binaries_dump_info hard to check. Maybe a table is more
intuitive with
          | runpath              | sonames
          | /opt/csw... | .../64 | libz.so.1 | ...
   mysql  |     1       |   2    |     X     |
   resolve|     1       |   2    |           |     X

   where the number would be the order. Just an idea, I don't have a
feeling on
   how good it would be to grasp by a single view on the page.