[csw-maintainers] comments on camp "wave", solaris 9 vs 10, etc

Peter FELECAN pfelecan at opencsw.org
Thu Aug 19 20:18:52 CEST 2010

Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> writes:

> On Thursday, August 19, 2010, Peter FELECAN <pfelecan at opencsw.org> wrote:
>

>> - if the maintainers *decides* that the effort is to important, he can
>>   orphan the package on Solaris 9; this bring us to a situation when
>>   somebody can take up the orphaned package and have 2 different
>>   maintainers
>>

> this would make sense in cases where the package has actual different
> functionality at runtime. however if there is no difference, seems to
> me the person willing to deal with the sol9 package is then producing
> a single package that works for both, and should then get to be the
> sole maintainer of the package

Not always. Take the example of Firefox, there is no functional identity
for what can be packaged for 9 or 10. But you're right, if, for example,
I cannot make work avidemux on Solaris 9, I decide to provide only a
Solaris 10 package, however, if later somebody does package the same
version and with the same features for Solaris 9 he can negotiate with
me to take over, or to supply the patches for the changes. What we
discussed is that the initial maintainer is the *only* person who can
judge if he can or cannot deliver initially. If you're afraid of
laziness, don't forget that what we are doing is always under the
scrutiny of the the community, that serves as an informal peer review.

--
Peter