[csw-maintainers] Issues about BerkeleyDB... again!

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Dec 13 18:52:53 CET 2010

On 12/13/10, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 13.12.2010 um 11:40 schrieb swardle at hiden.co.uk:
>> I filed a bug against amavisd_new
>> (https://www.opencsw.org/mantis/view.php?id=4629) but I think the problem
>> is that pm_berkeleydb requires updating for CSWbdb48 4.8.30.
>
> Ugh, I wasn't aware that the *specific* bdb version is used instead of 4.8.x
> This is very bad. It may require rebuilding everything depending on 4.8:
>   http://www.opencsw.org/packages/berkeleydb48/

This is exactly why I have been against having a lot of different
versions of berkeleydb in our active catalog. It makes our lives
messier.
Certain programs, once compiled with a specific version of it, want to
*stick* with a specific version of it. So the fewer versions we have
of berkeleydb, the better for us.

On the brighter side, reading the bug report... it sounds like the
amavisd checker is being overly .. picky.
What does it care, about which .h file is installed?

Unless it does actual compiling, sounds like amavisd maintainer could
just rdisable the check.

if it DOES do compiling... then given the current way we handle
berkeleydb, sounds like right thing to do may be for amavisd to make a
private copy of the header file(s).

Otherwise, we'd have to making a more general-case "berkeleydb48_dev".
, and have amavisd depend on that.
I think that would be ugly.
If more than just amavisd needs this sort of thing, maybe we have to
do it. But if it's just one program, I think since it already pulls in
the 4.8 version of the lib with depend on CSWberkeleydb48, that
keeping the header file for itself is okay.