[csw-maintainers] reminder about versioning, numbering, etc. The IPS factor.

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Dec 20 21:06:29 CET 2010

FYI, a reminder about a "past" issue, that came to my attention again:

In the past, I only allowed "pure numeric" versioning for packages.
The Spec was

softwarename-##.##.##,REV=anythinghere.

a year or so ago, people pushed to drop the pure numeric constraint.
No-one else wanted to keep the pure numeric restrictions. So we now
have alphas to the left of REV, where only #.#.# used to be.

However, when and if we transition to integrating with "IPS", it
should be mentioned:

**they only allow pure numerics for versioning**

The archive thread at
 http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.os.solaris.opensolaris.pkg.general/24163
somehow hasnt seem to have caught up with the latest, but here's a
quote from a later email from Danek Duvall, on the 17th Dec:

"I think it gets harder when you don't have a tuple of integers.  For
instance, OpenSSL uses letters in their normal versions -- 0.9.8j, for
instance, which we translated to 0.9.8.10. [....]"