[csw-maintainers] commentary on shared library naming proposal

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Sun Dec 26 15:54:10 CET 2010

Hi Maciej,

Am 26.12.2010 um 13:12 schrieb Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski:
> I would like us to have a cleaned up shared library packaging
> documentation.  The current state is:
>
> http://www.opencsw.org/extend-it/contribute-packages/build-standards/shared-libraries/
> - needs to be updated
>
> http://wiki.opencsw.org/packaging-shared-libraries
> - is up to date, but it's still declared to be a proposal rather than
> our standard.
>
> What's the status of the proposal - have we accepted it?  Is more
> discussion needed?  Do people have suggestions to change the text on
> the wiki?
>
> Since this subject has been under an intensive discussion, it's best
> if suggestions for changes are posted here and agreed before the wiki
> page is modified.

I would like to have a special case added for exclusion of shared libraries which
are used only from within the package and which are bumped on every
new release. One example is MIT Kerberos, which has a couple of
externally used libraries which are synchronized, and some internal-only
libraries which make no sense to be split because they are used only
by the Kerberos binaries from within the package. The API for these
is also not "open" for 3rd applications.