[csw-maintainers] Our core values: providing straightforward experience to the user

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Sun Dec 26 17:51:14 CET 2010

No dia 27 de Novembro de 2010 06:18, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> A bit of a delayed reply on this one... I wanted to let it sit for a bit.
> This is mostly in reply to Maciej's email, but the very last bit
> addresses Peter's concerns about 'discretionary' release management.
>
> Maciej, you made claims that resistance to package manager concerns is
> because the maintainer wants to "avoid low quality"
>
> however, the examples you give, seem to mostly be in the flavor of
> "maintainer wants to avoid doing more work".

Let me try to summarize.

It seems like you see yourself as someone who makes maintainers do
more work.  Your way of making maintainers do more work is to reject
packages that have been submitted for release.

To complete the picture, the package release must function as a sort
of a payment, or a reward, towards which maintainers are making their
efforts.  I guess the reasoning is that if you deny the maintainer the
reward, they will make more efforts to get it.   You grant the reward
once you are satisfied with maintainer's behavior (i.e. doing more
work).

Is this a fair summary?

If so, what makes you think it's true?  It's probably something along
the lines of this scenario making sense to you.  I can grant you that,
in a sufficiently incomplete model of how things work, this might make
sense.  The problem with this proposition ("rejecting packages makes
maintainers do more work") is that in the current setting, it
impossible to see whether there is any truth to it.

When you have a proposition which you want to test, you usually need
to come up with a test that is capable of falsifying it.  If such test
is impossible to construct, the proposition is untestable.

This is the case with your hypothesis that your behavior motivates
maintainers to do more work.  I might come off as a bit of a skeptic
here, but it looks to me like you want us to believe you without
seeing any evidence for your claim.