[csw-maintainers] Package naming policy

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Fri Dec 31 20:32:15 CET 2010

Excerpts from Peter FELECAN's message of Wed Dec 29 05:05:26 -0500 2010:

> Of course the _dev (and not -dev) is the choice but this will
> provoke some package name changes which is not a great deal in my
> opinion.

Of all the renames we could trigger, the 'devel' splits should be the
least harmful, and possibly the easiest to handle.  The primary
package could declare itself I with the old name and the package
splitting would create the new, standard name.  On package upgrade,
the admin would see a fairly obvious message about the old dev package
and note that he/she should investigate it.

It's not ideal, but it should be much easier than some other renames.

I'd prefer to standardize on the short -dev and _dev if we can for the
reasons that you noted.

Thanks