[csw-maintainers] (now about sudo)

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Feb 3 10:53:11 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 9:07 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 03.02.2010 um 07:28 schrieb Gary Law:
>>
>> On 29 January 2010 14:19, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski <maciej at opencsw.org>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The sudo_ldap non-fix was a test.  Phil could have said: "fair enough,
>>> you fix one thing, the other thing at least doesn't get any worse,
>>> perhaps you can do it at later time".  If he did, I'd be quite likely
>>> to go back to sudo_ldap after the alternatives issue gets resolved
>>> (because it's a dependency).  But instead he said "Fix this now or
>>> else!"
>>
>> Can we put this to a vote? I say release now. Phil, you've already
>> voted against, Maciej in favour. Any other votes?
>
> Come on guys, Maciej didn't fix it as test, and now as it surved
> its purpose there is no point in knowingly releasing a package
> with a flaw which takes a minute to fix. We still do want to
> deliver high-quality packages instead of putting oil in the fire
> of personal animosities, do we?

We don't, but these are intertwined issues: in order to deliver high
quality packages you need people to be able to communicate and
coordinate.

There's also the issue of the cost.  I love to deliver high quality
packages and fix bugs, but not at any cost.  I'm not going to die
trying.

There's more work to be done in order for sudo_ldap to be a
high-quality solution.  The permission problem is one thing, but the
other is that there's no mechanism to switch the sudo versions; the
/opt/csw/bin/sudo path will always point at sudo.minimal (non-ldap
one).  I don't like the idea of our packages trying to cope with
custom modifications of any paths controlled by them.

I've committed all my work back to the source code repository, if
anyone wants to continue the work, the build descriptions are up for
grabs.