[csw-maintainers] building netscape security services, nss

rupert THURNER rupert at opencsw.org
Sat Feb 6 18:35:39 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 19:14, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
> <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
> >
> > Firefox was done by William.  I was working on NSS, and it even
> > compiles on Solaris 10, but not Solaris 8, but the reason is unclear.
>
> I vaguely recall, that netscape for some unfathomable reason, took a
> very different approach to security and nss, between [sol8 and sol
> 10?]
>
> One of them attempts to compile, and does actually deliver in the
> package, a completely separate [lib*nss*solaris*security*] or
> something, and one does not.
> It gets dynamically linked in to the "main" nss lib, and is a critical
> dependancy, if i recall correctly.

my collegue found an existing old binary - so our need is less urgent now.
as we are not using solaris-8 anymore, i tried to build a solaris-10 package
and gar said:

rupert at build10s:~/mgar/pkg/nss/trunk
$ gmake clean package
[ Cleaning for modulation isa-sparcv8: ISA=sparcv8 ]
[ Cleaning for modulation isa-sparcv9: ISA=sparcv9 ]
gar/gar.pkg.mk:691: *** You are building this package on a non-requested
platform host 'build10s'. The follow platforms were requested:
gar/gar.pkg.mk:691: *** - solaris8-sparc to be build on host 'build8s'
gar/gar.pkg.mk:691: *** - solaris8-i386 to be build on host 'build8x'
gar/gar.pkg.mk:691: *** You can execute 'gmake platforms' to automatically
build on all necessary platforms.. Stop.

would it be even appropriate to try to compile a solaris-10 package and
release it? if yes, what is the correct way to do it?

rupert.