[csw-maintainers] RFD: Releases and staging proposal

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Feb 8 22:43:03 CET 2010

On Mon, Feb 8, 2010 at 12:52 PM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Changing the wording to something vague and changing it back later is
> IMHO not helpful and btw. not how other RFCs are done (which you may or
> may not find relevant for our document, as the OpenCSW-process should
> be "better than RFC", right?)

exactly. not to mention, it is a different process.

Internet RFCs, are basically someone's writeup of,

"Hi. This is what I myself am going to do. In fact, I'm doing it right
now. But I think it would be nice if other people copied what I am
doing, so it can become a standard. Please submit your comments about
what I am doing."
  (hence, "Request For Comments" on what someone is doing already).

Whereas what we are doing here, is writing up,

"This is a proposal, that we change what we, as an organization, are
doing, to do it another way. Lets discuss whether this is even the
right way to do things?".

There is a large conceptual difference between the two.