[csw-maintainers] RFD: Releases and staging proposal

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 9 04:01:38 CET 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Mon Feb 08 16:53:38 -0500 2010:

> This came up before... and a person tentatively said they would look
> into doing so... but then they did not follow through.

For the record, I did follow through.  James and I discussed this for
a bit and left it that James was going to continue watching for the
right time to cut a new stable.  At that point, I was going to play
the public point position (the whip) and keep things moving, thus
taking some of the burden from his shoulders.  Testing was going to be
shared.

That point in time has not come yet.

That being said, I see that we have several people looking to put some
effort into this, so that we can actually produce a release
milestone.  The process as documented may not be radically different
than before, but that's not the key takeaway here.

The important point: Several people are sitting down, thinking about
how to move forward.  They're documenting their thoughts and noting
that they'll put time and effort in.  The thoughts are public and are
a good starting point for discussion.  So far, the discussion hasn't
been very constructive.

IMO, this document is a good sign that we're already further ahead
than we were.

Thanks