[csw-maintainers] Problem with "alternatives" on updates

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Thu Feb 11 13:09:10 CET 2010

Hi Ben,

Am 11.02.2010 um 13:00 schrieb Ben Walton:
> Excerpts from Dagobert Michelsen's message of Thu Feb 11 05:03:15
> -0500 2010:
>
> Hi Dago,
>
>>> postuninstall scriptlet (using /bin/sh):
>>> if [ "$1" -ge "1" ]; then
>
> This is the key to the script here.  The rpm system has the notion of
> upgrades and when $1 -ne "0", the script can assume it was upgraded
> and that the postuninstall script is being triggered in that context.
> It's not as nice as the dpkg version, but it gets the job done.
>
> Hopefully that clears it up, although it won't make it easier for us,
> as we only have an upgrade notion when wrapped by pkgutil/pkg-get.

The current plan is to save the selection if the linkgroup is in
manual mode *and* the selection in the package removed. On an
alternatives addition it is checked if the saved selection is
about to be re-added and then "set". This way updates will work
in addition to removals. The one problem is a removal followed
by an addition much later, which would also be noticed as update.