[csw-maintainers] /testing spamassassin, bind, dhcp, dnstop

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Mon Feb 15 22:27:39 CET 2010

Hi Sebastian,

Am 15.02.2010 um 22:20 schrieb Sebastian Kayser:
> Peter Bonivart wrote on 15.02.2010 22:03:
>> On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 9:55 PM, Ihsan Dogan <ihsan at opencsw.org>
>> wrote:

>>> I've tested it quickly on x86. Works fine, but the man page seems
>>> to broken.
>>
>> Yes, the formatting is broken, it's just copied from the source.
>> Anyone has any ideas how to get it into a proper man page?
>
> AFAIR Solaris nroff can't handle some of the stuff that the ?roff on
> Linux can handle. What I used to do is to file a request with upstream
> to make the man page work on Solaris, format the man page on Linux,
> put
> it into $(docdir)/$(GARNAME) and provide a stub man page which pointed
> to this pre-formatted text file (see autossh [1] for an example).
> Ugly,
> but it did the job for a workaround.
>
> Dago recently pointed out that (besides fixing the man page) there
> is a
> simpler approach. Pre-formatted man pages can supposedly be put into
> /opt/csw/share/cat<section> and will simply be cat-ed for display (in
> favor of man pages coming from /opt/csw/share/man<section>
> directories).

Of course the better way is to just learn ROFF from here
   <http://oreilly.com/openbook/utp/>
and rewrite the failing macros as James pointed out. I have another
candidate (GNU File) with similar Macro problems. The book is quite
good.
Or you can try to use "groff -man" using the "an" macro packages
from here and see how they work:

   /opt/csw/lib/groff/site-tmac/an.tmac
   /opt/csw/lib/groff/site-tmac/ansun.tmac

> P.S.: If such non-formatable (on Solaris) man pages can be
> identified by
> some unique characteristics this might be a good thing to implement
> as a
> check for checkpkg.

I guess that will be hard as you would need a ROFF parser for that.