[csw-maintainers] problems linking to libs with X11 dependencies

Roger Håkansson hson at opencsw.org
Tue Feb 16 22:30:59 CET 2010

John Ellson wrote:
> I having problems rebuilding the graphviz plugins that use -lgs and -lgd
> because of an unresolved symbol in /lib/libX11.so.4, but I don't
> understand why /lib/libX11.so.4 is being pulled in?   I think this is a
> new problem because graphviz built with the gd plugin a few weeks ago.

Since the problem is when linking with gs, it's a new problem (unless
you have built with gs previously).

The problem is that libgs.so is linked with libX11.so.4 which is the
openwin version and if you link with that lib it needs libXext.so.0 from
the same place. But when linking with CSW X11 there exists a CSW version
of that lib that doesn't contain XSolarisIASetProcessInfo.

You can either wait for James to rebuild ghostscript or try to link with
  /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.so.
If you want to try the second option, I've sometimes successfully
managed to do it by adding the following to my Makefile.
EXTRA_LINKER_FLAGS = /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.so
Others have solved it by adding
EXTRA_LDFLAGS = /usr/openwin/lib/libXext.so