[csw-maintainers] Better shared object dependency checking in checkpkg out for testing

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Jan 4 18:45:52 CET 2010

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
<maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>...  I've created a v2-checkpkg branch in gar and
>>> re-implemented the part of checkpkg which analyzes shared library
>>> dependencies.  My implementation takes into account the RPATH set in
>>> the analyzed shared libraries, which allows it to correctly identify
>>> GCC runtime dependencies.
>>>...(n more!)
>>

> The main worry I have about the code is that has grew in line count
> beyond what I initially anticipated,

heheheh.. I am not surprised.. I knew it would be long and ugly, which
is why I put off attempting to write a better one for so long ;-)

>  and I doubt that it's easy to
> understand at the first glance.  There is a number of unit tests,
> which should make code refactoring easier.

Given the complexity, yet utility of this code... you might consider
making it a completely standalone util.

I know you mentioned "modules" down the road, but this particular bit
is possibly more useful to a wider audience, so it could be beneficial
that way.

call it "checkpkgdeps", perhaps ?