[csw-maintainers] libcairo dependency on /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.so...

Roger Håkansson hson at opencsw.org
Tue Jan 12 23:13:57 CET 2010

Philip Brown wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 10, 2010 at 4:29 PM, Roger Håkansson <hson at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> Seems I was a little bit hasty in my assessment...
>> My first fix will make libcairo use /opt/csw/X11/lib/libXrender.so at link
>> time, but not runtime.
>
> Side comment/tip:
>
> make sure that ALL DEPENDANCIES of libcairo, are using "our" version
> of libX, etc, rather than the /usr/openwin ones. Otherwise that can
> mess you up.
>
> Sadly, it's not enough to have the deps' version "up to date". you
> also have to have them using the compatible libs for themselves. so
> you might need to take over some.

Correct, that's why I sent the mail regarding how to fix the problem, so
other maintainers know how to solve the problem in their package.

The bigger issue is that there are probably packages already out there
which are linked to "our" libX while many old packages depending on the
newly updated packages, don't.

Since the list of packages linked to libX11.so.4 are huge, there is a
ton of work to update them all.

I've been thinking of this a bit and see three options.

First, let the recommendation be, "EXTRA_INC, EXTRA_LIB and
EXTRA_PKG_CONFIG_DIRS shouldn't be set to our X11 unless you package a
package which don't have any packages depending on it".
This means that it will more or less take forever before we can break
the dependency on libX11.so.4.

Second option is to say "ok, let whatever package breaks, break and let
the maintainers for those packages repackage ASAP plus make an
collective effort repackaging packages without a current mantainer".

The third option is to get two new farm machines (or use
build8st/build8xt) where we can start rebuilding and installing packages
"from the root", i.e packages which many packages depends on.
This also means we need to branch off packages in GAR to create a
"X11-repackage" branch for each package.

So the question is what road we should take...