[csw-maintainers] dbus

Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.com
Wed Jan 13 07:42:41 CET 2010

There was a problem with the dbus package that kept the service from shutting
down.  This would keep Solaris from haulting because it waited for the
service shutdown command to return and it never did.  This is with version
1.2.12,REV=2009.03.25.  This has apparently been fixed.  So I upgraded libdbus
to 1.2.12,REV=2009.08.10 and then tried to upgrade the dbus package.  However,
the first thing that the upgrade processes attempts is to shutdown the current
dbus service - and this operation never returns so the upgrade never executes!

If, as root, I manually run the command:

	svcadm disable svc:/system/cswdbus

this returns.  But the command which is used in the dbus package:

	svcadm disable -t svc:/system/cswdbus

hangs.  Even when I have issued the first disable command, when I check:

	svcs svc:/system/cswdbus
	STATE          STIME    FMRI
	online*        22:09:08 svc:/system/cswdbus:default

although when I take a look at the complete listing of services with a
simple svcs command, the cswdbus service is not reported?  Apparently the
service is actually stopped but some bookkeeping does not get completed so
svcadm and svcs are confused about the actual state of things.

I tried editing the command from the uncompressed package datastream file:

	dbus-1.2.12,REV=2009.08.10-SunOS5.8-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz.tmp

but when I rerun the upgrade command, it unpack another version from

	dbus-1.2.12,REV=2009.08.10-SunOS5.8-sparc-CSW.pkg.gz

I tried uncompressing the master package, editing the command in the
datastream and then recompressed the file, but when I run the upgrade,
it must check the package checksum, see that it is off and it downloads
a fresh copy of the package, overwriting all of my attempts to edit the
install script.

So how is someone supposed to upgrade this package?  I can't be the first
person attempting to upgrade this package since last August.

Regards,
--
Jeff

C. Jeffery Small           CJSA LLC                       206-232-3338
jeff at cjsa.com              7000 E Mercer Way, Mercer Island, WA  98040