[csw-maintainers] dbus

Jeffery Small jeff at cjsa.com
Wed Jan 13 20:57:36 CET 2010

Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> writes:

>This was announced together with the updated package on users@
>in September:

>If dbus is running, it will be stop during update, thus update may freeze.
>In order to avoid this situation, you have to be sure that you don't have
>dbus running, or if it is running, you will have to kill it by hand before
>the upgrade.  You can retrieve the pid to kill with the [...]

Thanks Dagobert.

I'm sorry that I missed the announcement back in September.  I followed the
procedures and did get the updated package installed.  I really appreciate
the quick response.  Two comments:

1) It would be good to get the news section for packages up and running so
that information like this could be used to list important information like
this.

2) Is there some reason that the test for the bad installed version of
dbus was not performed by the package's install script and then have the
script automatically check for a running process and kill it as part of
the upgrade procedure, rather than force the user to perform a manual
intervention?  I ask this as a general question regarding all packages that
might require a non-standard form of intervention during installation.

Regards,
--
Jeff

C. Jeffery Small           CJSA LLC                       206-232-3338
jeff at cjsa.com              7000 E Mercer Way, Mercer Island, WA  98040