[csw-maintainers] dbus

Sebastian Kayser skayser at opencsw.org
Fri Jan 15 01:13:48 CET 2010

Dagobert Michelsen wrote on 14.01.2010 22:23:
> Am 13.01.2010 um 21:13 schrieb Sebastian Kayser:
>> The NEWS link on www.opencsw.org/packages/<package> points to the
>> Mantis
>> news page for a package. Each maintainer should be able to populate
>> this
>> section for his packages already. That's where important news about
>> that
>> package could go. Nothing fancy, but better than it is right now.
>
> This is definitely a good idea. We also have
>    http://wiki.opencsw.org/packages
> Too many places for so simple things...

True. Even if there are multiple places, one central place which ties
them all together would be helpful. packages.debian.org is IMHO a
brilliant example.

>> What I also really would like to see is a changelog.CSW shipped with
>> each package which is somehow hooked into the release process. The
>> NEWS
>> section could then be automatically updated. I just had a
>> troubleshooting session with someone who updated amavisd-new and from
>> the package side it took me some time of distilling the important
>> items
>> in the GAR logs to see what had changed. That's where the NEWS would
>> have been helpful also.
>
> The package news section should IMHO have one entry per release.
> The ChangeLog is usually updated on every edit session which may
> or may not result in a released package, so I'd propose a modified
> approach here.

The changelog.CSW I am referring to also contains one block of
information per package release - with all the relevant changes that
happened since the last package release (examples see [1,2,3]). I took
the idea from Yann's recipes ([4,5]) which in turn were likely inspired
by Debian's changelog.Debian file. This block of information could
simply be turned into a Mantis package news entry upon release.

The file itself is a bit of fiddling at first, but when you have a
template/script that assists you, it's more easy to do. It would of
course be easier without, but for the benefit of the users (and
ourselves) it is IMHO worth it. My very, very primitive script approach
which helps me to construct the changelog can be found at
http://dpaste.com/145339/.

Sebastian

[1]http://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/xterm/trunk/files/changelog.CSW
[2]http://gar.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gar/csw/mgar/pkg/watch/trunk/files/changelog.CSW