[csw-maintainers] libcairo in /testing (was Re: Ganglia for sparcv9)

Roger Håkansson hson at opencsw.org
Mon Jan 18 14:41:46 CET 2010

Dagobert Michelsen wrote:
> Hi Roger,
>
> Am 18.01.2010 um 02:38 schrieb Roger Håkansson:
>> Ihsan Dogan wrote:
>>> I'm running into a problem with Pango. We discussed this issue here
>>> before, but I don't remember how it ended.
>>> http://pastebin.ca/1755178
>>
>> The lib does contain what you need, but I'm pretty sure that if you
>> check config.log you will find that every test have failed due to:
>>
>> Undefined                       first referenced
>> symbol                             in file
>> XSolarisIASetProcessInfo            /usr/openwin/lib/libX11.so.4
>>
>> The problem is related to what I wrote last week regarding libcairo.
>>
>> Until the libcairo-problem is fixed, you might be able to get around it
>> by adding this to your Makefile
>>
>> EXTRA_SOS_LD_FLAGS = -L$(abspath $(prefix)/X11/lib/$(MM_LIBDIR))
>> CONFIGURE_ARGS += --x-includes=$(prefix)/X11/include
>> CONFIGURE_ARGS += --x-libraries=$(abspath $(prefix)/X11/lib/$(MM_LIBDIR))
>>
>> Using those changes I'm able to build rrdtool using what's in GAR.
>>
>> However, until libcairo is fixed, you probably also need to add
>> EXTRA_SOS_LD_OPTIONS = -R$(abspath $(prefix)/X11/lib/$(MM_LIBDIR))
>
> I see you have already done some work on it. Does it work?
> Please take it over at will.

Well, it works as far as I can tell, but a potential problem is how old
dependencies are affected (see my previous mails regarding
libX11.so.4/libXrender.so.1)

I'll push the packages as is to /testing so someone else can do some
more testing.

The difference between this package and the current one is just that
/opt/csw/X11/lib(/opt/csw/X11/lib/64) is first in RUNPATH in order to
work around the fact that there is a libXrender.so.1 in /opt/csw/lib
which is linked to libX11.so.4 in /usr/openwin instead of "our" own in
/opt/csw/X11.

But this still isn't a complete solution in order to link with libcairo
without linking with libX11 from openwin. This version of libcairo only
takes care of the runtime problem, when building apps/lib using libcairo
you still need to prepend -L/opt/csw/X11/lib (-R/opt/csw/X11/lib if your
app/lib uses X11 stuff in other places and not just as a result of
linking with libcairo) to your link command.
One way to do it when using GAR is to set:
EXTRA_SOS_LD_FLAGS = -L$(abspath $(prefix)/X11/lib/$(MM_LIBDIR))
(and if needed:
EXTRA_SOS_LD_OPTIONS = -R$(abspath $(prefix)/X11/lib/$(MM_LIBDIR))
)