[csw-maintainers] GAR: Least invasive way to pre-pend extra lib directories to LDFLAGS/LD_OPTIONS?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Tue Jan 19 21:42:39 CET 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,

*wave*

> Am 19.01.2010 um 18:07 schrieb Philip Brown:
>
>> Gee, this sounds a whoole lot like a coupla years ago, when my
>> recommendations were,
>> "force certain paths in /opt/csw to be first, via LD_OPTIONS in your
>> build environment, because it's canonical and tends to work
>> reguardless of whatever twisted sub-build-tool is used."
>> but people complained.
>>
>> Yet here we are again.
>> ahaha. :-)
>
> Not quite. We are talking here about the order of directories passed via
> LD_OPTIONS to put more specialized directories in front and /opt/csw/lib
> at the end. It is not about LD_OPTIONS or LDFLAGS.

seems to me, the "least invasive way", would be to let the builder set
them directly, and not to have it in "the build system" at all.

Or, if it is in the build system, have ONE SINGLE top level override,
that only gets set in extreme cases, and gets set only on a
per-project basis. (ie: no "default" use of it).