[csw-maintainers] maintainers email addrs on packages

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Wed Jan 20 22:30:04 CET 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 11:09 AM, James Lee <james at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On 20/01/10, 17:25:21, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote regarding Re:
>> Are you saying you dont like the existing interface of,
>
>> webbrowse to www.opencsw.org/packages/{package}
>> click "email maintainer"
>
> Not that, although now the email goes to the last maintainer and
> it doesn't change until a new packages is built.  Divorcing the
> address from the package could make it easier to change the route.
>
> The packages contain the personal emails and we can't change.

But we shouldnt need to "fix" that, as an organization.
When a package is updated by a new maintainer, the "correct"
maintainer email gets into the package.
If someone is asking for support on a package, the first thing they
should do is upgrade to the latest "current" version of the package.
So the only time this is an issue is when the maintainer has
retired/disappeared ... in which case, we as an organization, can
redirect their email, so it's still ok in theory.

> When someone takes a sabbatical the destination should be swapped.

"redirect their organizational email".
Same as in any other organization, when a person goes on "sabbatical"
or extended leave.

> We could also have several people receiving the emails in the case
> of a maintainer team - or a mailing list.

Hrrrm.. I can ALMOST visualize supporting MULTIPLE email addrs in the
EMAIL=
field of pkginfo. mantis DOES support having multiple people as
manager of a package.
However to get it to work end-to-end, our
www.opencsw.org/packages/xxx scripting would have to be rewritten,
rather majorly.
Im not feeling up to that.

If someone wants to update/take it over, that would be relatively fine
by me though.

> I subscribe to upstream announce lists and the address goes with
> the package not me.

Umm.. yikes. roles being subscribed to mailing lists, doesnt sound
like a good idea to me personally.