[csw-maintainers] On examining proposals (was: new mailing list?)

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Jan 25 23:17:00 CET 2010

On Mon, Jan 25, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Gary Law <glaw at opencsw.org> wrote:

> Maintainers should be assumed to know what their doing. If the release
> manager feels something is seriously substandard, and they can't agree
> to release it, it should be put to a vote here.

I will point out that, on occasion where I reach a deadlock with a
maintainer in my capacity as release manager, I have more than once
said, "ok, lets bring this up for discussion on the general list".

This doesnt happen very often, however, because by far the vast
majority of maintainers recognize that I am bringing up logical points
of interest about the package, and they work well with me in
discussing potential workarounds, and then the package gets released.

For this reason, I am very much in FAVOR of making the package release
process public via a new mailing list, so that the more
difficult-to-deal-with people can see how easily the process flows,
when both people act in a reasonable fashion.