[csw-maintainers] Proposal : decommissioning desktop support for Solaris 9

James Lee james at opencsw.org
Wed Jul 7 10:02:08 CEST 2010

On 06/07/10, 12:56:18, William Bonnet <william at wbonnet.net> wrote regarding
[csw-maintainers] Proposal : decommissioning desktop support for Solaris 9:

> This lead me to the following proposal. I think it may be the time
> to think about dropping desktop support for Solaris 9. Or at least
> to focus on providing Solaris 10 only packages for desktop
> applications in recent version.

> Of course existing packages would be kept in the repository, but
> no longer updated. And non desktop packages are out of the scope
> of this proposal !

> IMHO most of desktop users are Solaris 10 users. There are certainly
> a few Solaris 9 users. This mean they will have to stick to existing
> version (FF3, TB2, etc.). Anyways current situation, makes me
> uncertain about the possibility to deliver anything else than these
> versions... Thus, better update for Solaris 10 users, instead of
> keeping everyone at Solaris 9 level.

I and one other person I know run Solaris desktop on 8/9 and not 10
because CPR reboot works on 7/8/9 but not on Solaris 10.

This is such a clear advantage to a desktop it's worth 2 versions of
Firefox.  Although I actually run my browser from a remote Solaris 10
machine so I can use a later version, also because browsers leak
memory restarting daily helps.  Everything else I like to have running
exactly where I left it.

James.