[csw-maintainers] bad interactions with CSWcommon

Ben Walton bwalton at opencsw.org
Tue Jul 13 18:51:54 CEST 2010

Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Tue Jul 13 12:25:08 -0400 2010:

> and... it's inconsistent.
> for example, it provides

> (no 'd' entry for the lt directory itself. Erm.. that's because of
> deduplication with
>   cswcommon, I suppose? But still, inconsistency==not good)

Right.  The prototype provides a symlink from each LC_TIME to the
corresponding LC_MESSAGES.  It's only after installation that it gets
inconsistent.

> 1. cswcommon gets updated, to symlink ALL LC_TIME dirs to LC_MESSAGES
> 2. cswcommon gets a README file mentioning that the reason for the
> LC_TIME links,
>     is to track coreutils local stuffs (and that as more locales get added, more
>     dirs and LC_TIME symlinks should be added to it)
>
> 3. coreutils then gets to skip its LC_TIME symlinks.

...Can you re-read that and then tell me it makes sense from a
maintenance point of view?

So now, you're proposing that we _extend_ the current breakage (in the
event some package actually needs separate LC_TIME/LC_MESSAGES which
is VALID)?  Not only does this continue to take away from what gettext
has to offer, but it doubles the maintenance burden for these
directories...in a non-automated way.

I'm counter-proposing this:

1. Remove all share/locale/* from cswcommon
2. Keep coreutils as it is.
3. Fix packages (if any remaining) that break as a result, which is a
   rather trivial thing to do.

Thoughts?

Thanks