[csw-maintainers] bad interactions with CSWcommon

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Jul 15 19:09:54 CEST 2010

On 7/13/10, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Philip Brown's message of Tue Jul 13 16:02:21 -0400 2010:
>
>> It's that when users try to do something "interesting" with LC_TIME,
>> then almost *all* packages "break", unless there is the symlink from
>> LC_TIME->messages.
>
> If that were true then wouldn't setting LC_TIME to a locale that isn't
> currently installed also "break" things?

yes. but there's a difference between,
"It doesnt work because there's nothing to work with",
vs
"it doesnt work, because opencsw didnt put in a little effort to
connect the dots to what's already there".

> I don't think that's true.
>
> You're still overlooking the fact that symlinking the directories is
> removing the ability of a program to deliver separate .mo files for
> the various categories (_CTYPE, _MONETARY and _NUMERIC are also
> options a program might use).

Show me a program that delivers a separate .mo file for LC_TIME.
An actual FILE, that is different from files it delivers in other
directories, rather than a symlink.