[csw-maintainers] cswclassutils: location of template init scripts

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Wed Jun 9 13:44:48 CEST 2010

No dia 2 de Junho de 2010 17:22, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> escreveu:
> Urk. posted too quickly. here's rev 2, slightly cleaned up.
>
> cswinitsmf will be modified, so that it keeps track of file(s)
> registered for a package, under /opt/csw,
> in
>
> /opt/csw/etc/cswinitsmf/CSWxxx (a directory)
>
> It will copy or symlink relevant files into there.
> For global zone, it will otherwise act as normal.
>
> Zone behaviour
> If the init files were in /etc/opt/csw, then copy into above mentioned
> directory(if writable. or otherwise, verify that they are already
> there), and proceed as normal.
>
> If the init files were in /opt/csw/etc/init.d, then it will get
> called, but without a normal list of files on stdin.
> We can then detect "hey I was called with no files",and instead have
> it go look in
> /opt/csw/etc/cswinitsmf/$PKGINST, and process those files, as its file
> list for the zone.

After reading this carefully, on one hand I understand the idea behind
handing the special case with no files supplied; but I realized that I
don't know enough about the intended way for the NFS sharing to work.
I've read our user guide page[1], and the wiki page[2].  IIUC, the NFS
sharing is done in such a way that there is a master machine onto
which CSW packages are installed and which serves the /opt/csw
directory in a read-only fashion.  Other machines mount this directory
via NFS and don't install the CSW packages at all.  It's enough to add
/opt/csw/bin to $PATH in order to access the utilities.

If you tried to install a package to a machine with read-only mounted
/opt/csw, I'm guessing that pkgadd would fail (is that true?), because
writing to the file wouldn't be possible.  If you don't run pkgadd on
client machines, how are daemons started?  The "empty input
cswinitsmf" idea above wouldn't solve that.

Sorry about backtracking, but I have to understand the background
before I can make any useful comments on a particular idea.

[1] http://www.opencsw.org/userguide/sharingcsw
[2] http://wiki.opencsw.org/shared-opt-csw-setup