[csw-maintainers] comments and info on new gtk, etc

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Fri Jun 18 19:16:41 CEST 2010

Some info for interested people:

So, we have the "new" gtk, cairo, and pango, officially in our public
current tree now.

The bad news is, our existing firefox3.0 package is kinda slow with it.
  The worse news is, getting a fresh compile, out of what's in our gar
tree, is somewhat painful. To the point where I havent been successful
with it.

The GOOD news is.... the "sun beijing" contributed packages of firefox
3.6.3, work **really great** with it!
So at least we know we're on the right track.

For those interested in the 3.6 binaries, do the following:

Go to
http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/latest-3.6/contrib/solaris_pkgadd/

download the appropriate fcs pkg.bz2 file

bunzip2 it.

use pkgtrans on it(  pkgtrans firefox*-pkg /tmp)

**DO NOT** say "all". pick the specific firefox package. Or, I guess
the short cut is

pkgtrans firefox*-pkg /tmp SFWfirefox

pkgadd -d /tmp/SFWfirefox

EDIT /opt/sfw/lib/firefox/run-mozilla.sh

They take a shortcut, and force LD_LIBRARY_PATH near the end of the
script. you need to re-force it to be
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/csw/lib:/opt/sfw/lib

All done!
For the curious, their full package set provides updated versions of:
GNOME2      SFWatk     ATK - Accesibility Toolkit Libraries
GNOME2      SFWcairo   Vector graphics library
GNOME2      SFWfirefox Mozilla Firefox Web browser
GNOME2      SFWglib2   Low level core compatibility library for GTK+ and GNOME
GNOME2      SFWgtk2    GTK+ - GIMP Toolkit Library for creation of
graphical user interfaces
GNOME2      SFWpango   Library for layout and rendering of
internationalized text
GNOME2      SFWpixman  Vector graphics library
Installed space is:  66M for SFWfirefox, 23 megs for all the other stuff.