[csw-maintainers] interested in package tools?

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Mon Jun 21 18:05:09 CEST 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 6:10 AM, Dagobert Michelsen <dam at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Hi Phil,
>
> Am 21.06.2010 um 08:46 schrieb Philip Brown:
>
>> I personally think it could be beneficial to us to package our own
>> compilation of thse tools, but then take out artificial limitations such
>> as
>> "must be root to do [xyz]", and just rely on filesystem perms to determine
>> that sort of thing.
>
> What tools do you have in mind?.... But what
> specifically would we gain from it?

I can think of two things off the top of my head:

1. I could take the internal pkgtrans routines out of pkg-get. They
are there because of a stupid bug in pkgtrans. if we have our own, we
could fix the bug, and I could ditch that hack

2. It allows for non-root people to keep their own csw repository.
  This is one of the "IPS is better" gripes: non-root people can
supposedly use it.
  So this would address a documented user complaint.
  (well, okay, SOME things are hardcoded to reference /opt/csw paths.
but a lot of things will work fine without it; the most common issue
is really an RPATH issue, which can be solved via LD_LIBRARY_PATH.)