[csw-maintainers] Changing the package description for Perl modules

Philip Brown phil at bolthole.com
Thu Mar 4 22:14:12 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:49 AM, Peter Bonivart <bonivart at opencsw.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:58 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com> wrote:
>> But if the argument is, "lets put it in the existing DESC field", so
>> that it goes in the descriptions file, and is thus still searchable
>> client-side relatively easily... then thats ok by me.
>
> That's what I meant and I think that's what Dago meant as well.
>
> Sample:
>
> pm_netdns - Net::DNS. Interface to the DNS resolver

I think we would be better served having it postpended, rather than prepended.

Well, i guess it all depends whether people who may view truncated
descriptions of our packaged perl modules, would benefit more from
english description, or CPAN description.
I cant honestly say I know; we might actually need to do a user survey of this.

Personally, I think that CPAN ::-:: notation is primarily useful only
when you are actually using CPAN. and if you are using CPAN, then you
have no need of our description anyway :-}