[csw-maintainers] Which x11 library to choose?

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Mar 5 19:32:30 CET 2010

Hi,

Am 04.03.2010 um 22:08 schrieb Philip Brown:

> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 11:30 AM, Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski
> <maciej at opencsw.org> wrote:
>> On Thu, Mar 4, 2010 at 6:42 PM, Philip Brown <phil at bolthole.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Should this not also depend on CSWlibice?
>>> and CSWlibsm?
>>
>> Exactly, it shouldn't.  If you look at the RPATHs of the binaries, it
>> uses libraries from Sun.
>
> Which, for the record, and other people's benefits, is not exactly a
> bad thing in and of itself.. it's just bad if it also attempts to use
> our new gtk, which needs our newer, non-sun X libs.

Exactly. A package should be linked OpenCSW X11 exactly when:
- it relies on features only available in OpenCSW X11
or
- it is linked together with a binary that is linked against
   OpenCSW X11

That means if it is standalone application which doesn't require
OpenCSW X11 it is good practice to bind against Sun X11.

Best regrads