[csw-maintainers] Changing the package description for Perl modules

Dagobert Michelsen dam at opencsw.org
Fri Mar 5 21:00:27 CET 2010

Hi Phil,

Am 05.03.2010 um 20:43 schrieb Philip Brown:
>> Am 04.03.2010 um 22:14 schrieb Philip Brown:
>>> Well, i guess it all depends whether people who may view truncated
>>> descriptions of our packaged perl modules, would benefit more from
>>> english description, or CPAN description.
>>> I cant honestly say I know; we might actually need to do a user
>>> survey of
>>> this.
>>>

>> My typical usecase it that I know the module name and want to
>> find the matching package/catalog name to install it.
>> Currently the only possibility is to guess the path (like
>> /Net/DNS.pm for the above example) and search in "view
>> package files" page. So I think putting it first would
>> be best like in the example.-
>
> I'm confused... You wrote that you do a search on the package files
> database.
> How does that translate to "putting it first in the description
> would be best"?
>
> When you are searching for something based on description in our
> packages, why would you not use
>
> pkg-get -D what-you-what
> or pkgutil (whatever the syntax is)
> ?

There is a mapping in Perl between the module name and the path the
module
is in. The module Sub::SubSub::Pack is in .../Sub/SubSub/Pack.pm and
the module is in the file Sub-SubSub-Pack-<version>.tar.gz
As we don't have the module name anywhere now I search for the file
instead, but that needs going to a webpage. Having the module name in
the description would allow finding it from the catalog.

> and in that case, as I have mentioned, why would it matter whether the
> string you want is first, or last?

It does not. But for me it is more important to have the module name.