[csw-maintainers] Detecting the dependency on CSWdbus (was: Re: evince-2.24.2 in experimental)

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Mon Mar 8 11:50:24 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 8, 2010 at 7:30 AM, gerard <ghenry at cmi.univ-mrs.fr> wrote:
> hello,
> it fails for me, on sparc solaris 10:
> mombasa-henry% /opt/csw/bin/evince
>
> ** (evince:1643): WARNING **: Error connecting to D-Bus: Failed to connect
> to socket /tmp/dbus-3zKwnd1mUE: No such file or directory
>
> ** (evince:1643): WARNING **: Service registration failed.
>
> ** (evince:1643): WARNING **: Failed to connect to socket
> /tmp/dbus-3zKwnd1mUE: No such file or directory
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)

The shared library linking check detected that evince needs to depend
on CSWlibdbus, but evince needs the dbus daemon running in order to
work.  Every time this kind of a problem occurs, I'm thinking hard how
to write an automated check for it, or find another way to make sure
that the issue doesn't happen again.

One idea would be to assume that whatever needs CSWlibdbus also needs
CSWdbus.  A version of that is what I did with the CSWpython-rt
package - just get rid of it, because it's unhelpful anyway.  There's
an easy way to falsify this theory: find an example of a package that
needs libdbus but doesn't need a running daemon.

Another way would be to detect whether the application makes actual
calls to the dbus API, and therefore needs the daemon to run.

Thoughts?