[csw-maintainers] update-mime-database said: Note that '/opt/csw/share' is not in the search path

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 9 09:09:34 CET 2010

I had a problem in which evince didn't look for the right MIME
database when I asked it to display a PDF file.  Running
update-mime-database showed:

netra ~ # update-mime-database /opt/csw/share/mime

Note that '/opt/csw/share' is not in the search path
set by the XDG_DATA_HOME and XDG_DATA_DIRS
environment variables, so applications may not
be able to find it until you set them. The
directories currently searched are:

- /root/.local/share
- /usr/local/share/
- /usr/share/

After setting XDG_DATA_DIRS to /opt/csw/share, evince started showing
PDF documents.  What is our way of handling it?  Have the users
configure the XDG_DATA_DIRS variable for themselves?  Embed this
setting in each application?  Any other way?