[csw-maintainers] update-mime-database said: Note that '/opt/csw/share' is not in the search path

Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski maciej at opencsw.org
Tue Mar 9 16:28:24 CET 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 2:27 PM, Ben Walton <bwalton at opencsw.org> wrote:
> Excerpts from Maciej (Matchek) Blizinski's message of Tue Mar 09 03:09:34 -0500 2010:
>
>> After setting XDG_DATA_DIRS to /opt/csw/share, evince started showing
>> PDF documents.  What is our way of handling it?  Have the users
>> configure the XDG_DATA_DIRS variable for themselves?  Embed this
>> setting in each application?  Any other way?
>
> Does evince offer a configure option to specify the default search
> path?  That's how much of the xml stuff works.

I've checked for that and haven't found such option.  I've found
/usr/local/share paths hardcoded in update-mime-database.c, but I'm
not sure whether changing it there would affect the place where evince
looks for data.  The base problem is that I don't know how exactly
this resolution is working in evince.

I've read the basedir spec[1], but it was somewhat unsatisfactory.  It
mentioned the default /etc/xdg and /usr/share, and mentioned the
environment variables, but it didn't say anything about other means of
supplying the information, nor did say that other ways do not or
should not exist.

[1] http://standards.freedesktop.org/basedir-spec/basedir-spec-latest.html